Girls Tennis loses at state competition, but had fierce players

Girls Tennis fought hard, but resulted in a loss.

Dixie Girls Tennis players practice this past season. (Courtesy of St. George News)

Have you ever played tennis?

The top Girls Tennis players have spent many months getting ready for state this year.

Key players

Meg Fraser, number three singles, said, “We could bring home a win for State, after all, Kylie Kezos is number one, undefeated.”

Kylie Kezos brought home a win at Region Saturday, September 25th. Throughout the whole season, Kylie brought home a win every time, but not without a fight.

Her dad, Kyle Kezos, who is also an assistant coach, trained her to play this well. Kylie has been number one on the team since her freshman year and she always dominates, teammates say.

Meg Fraser started playing tennis because of her sister, Sally Fraser, who graduated last year but she was on the tennis team and played number two singles.

Her dad has been playing with her and training her. Meg is also a fighter, she can bring home a win from State, just like the rest of the team could, but she will have to fight for it. 

State competition

Throughout October 1st and 2nd, State was happening up north in Salt Lake City at Liberty Park, and Dixie Girls Tennis didn’t get what they expected.

In the first match, Kylie won against Ellie Carlston from Ridgeline with a score of 8-0 and 7-3.

In her second match in the semifinals, Kylie fought hard but lost to Erika Olsen from Bear River High School with a score of 6-2 and 7-5.

Green Canyon High School took the win for State. Crimson Cliffs High School took second and Desert Hills High School took third.

Meg played third singles. She played Emma Murri from Green Canyon but lost with a score of 10-0 and 6-5.  And Meg fought hard just like her sister, Sally, the year before.

Katelyn Jennings and Izabella Fawson played second doubles against and lost to Katelyn Simon and Kiersten Daines from Ridgeline with a score of 8-2 and 3-1.